Tips For Packing A Vagabond Life
There are so many articles and blogs on what to pack and how to pack. Packing is subjective and very dependent on where you are going, climate and how many times you will be moving on.
This list of tips for packing is what I have recently packed for an overland journey from Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia to Sarlat France with climate from cold in Siberia and the Gobi to hot in the Caucuses and Turkey.
My pack is 65lites and I have a rule that I cannot have more than 12KG in my pack. Cameras / Ipad are carried in my day pack.
** I have just purchased a new Osprey 40L Fairview so looking forward to trying it out and adjusting my packing list to work with my new pack.
I use packing cubes to keep everything organised.
Tips For Packing – What’s In My Pack
It’s all about layering which allows you to add or loses clothing as needed
- 1 pair jeans – I know they are heavy and take ages to dry but I wear them constantly and find them comfortable
- 1 pair black travel type pants – Black pants are little smarter than jeans so good if going somewhere a little dressier. Mine are lightweight fabric in the style of jean,
- 2 x pair of shorts. 1 denim and one lightweight travel fabric
- 2 x singlets – good for layering and sleeping in
- 4 x short sleeve cotton shirts, lightweight and breathable
- 1 x long sleeve sloppy joe.
- 1 x lightweight polar fleece jumper
- 1 x lightweight raincoat – packable version that packs down into a small bag.
- 5 x socks
- 5 x underpants
- 2 x bras
- 1 x pair walking or hiking shoes.
- 1 x pair slip on flats
- 1 x pair flip flops (great for hostel showers)
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Bar of Soap
- Brush / Comb
- Hair Ties
- 1 x Earbud headphones.Light and small,
- 1 x IPad
- 1 x 6S iPhone
- Charging leads for above
- 2 x USB thumb drives
- 1 x power bank for charging on the go
- 1 x Cable organiser which keeps everything tidy
- 1 x 14” laptop – we run a business so this is essential for us.
This year I have left behind my DSLR and lenses to travel only with a GoPro and a LUMIX TZ80. At the end of the day it came down to weight when travelling a long way and having to carry a pack – so let’s see how we go….
- 1 x GoPro Hero 5
- 2 x Spare GoPro Batteries
- 1 x LUMIX TZ80
- Spare micro SD Cards
- 1 x padlock
- 1 x headlight or torch
- 1 x Swiss knife
- 1 x medical kit
- Ziplock bags
Read the Packing Essentials article to understand what you really should be packing